User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

A610 special

Postby clee » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:11 pm

This should be an interesting thread ...not your usual dig out the rot and fix .
It may upset the purists but ..

In very good order as it stands with just the usual surface grot and old tired running gear .It sometimes refuses to turn off so new barrel I think + doors I suppose ( are these still available from Ren ?)
Pics ....Stripped out the lump and up on stands for major stripdown :shock:
User

PaulyA610

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Gloucester

Postby PaulyA610 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:32 pm

What did I tell you Lee she is a minter, not a rotter like some!!!!!! :wink: I am just soooo glad it is going to be looked after and still be used, still miss the old girl.
Lotus Evora 400
Renault R8
Renault Megane R.S 265 Trophy
Renault megane sport tourer

GAZ Suspension Dealer,SPAX Dealer, Forge Motorsport Dealer,Alpine ICE Dealer,
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:01 pm

Had a meeting today to discuss the project in more detail now that a lot is stripped out on the deck .....
We are going for full strip-down of the oily bits and make new 8) Everything I can access, without getting really silly , will be repaired/renewed to better than OE std + a bit more poke required :twisted:
I need to research a few 'upgrades' and decide what is best but it really should be something else when done .
Not sure about the trim and pant as yet as that is not my bag but Sean has that in hand 8)

Might be done this year :shock:
User

blueg33

Rank

Non Member

Wed May 30, 2012 12:14 pm

United Kingdom

Postby blueg33 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:13 pm

I saw this yellow one today. It looks pretty good as it is, it will be fantastic when Lee has done his stuff on it
Ginetta G33, TVR Tuscan, Audi A6 Quattro, Subaru Outback. Blue GTA Turbo

"If everything feels under control, you are not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:54 am

Last edited by MFaulks on Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:14 pm

It's to go full show and a few more ponies ....Full stripdown of engine and gearbox ,rebuild as new with new turbo and better exit pipework .
I don't think we are chasing any big numbers but full engine build so any value for money suggestions whilst I'm in there more than welcome :wink:

Ahh......' like sands through the hourglass '
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Yes! I wouldn't mind if it stopped for just a while... got Will's ecu in my hand, got MF 11/10/10 written on it :shock: eek... where the heck did the time go???
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Re: A610 special

Postby clee » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:46 pm

Lots of new bits in boxes and engine stripped and cleaned .Martin has the heads for major rework and we should be getting those underway anytime now ,cams valves etc etc etc .Helix or a n other required as we are looking for quite a bit more power .Gearbox stripped for full clean and upgrade .

I have refurbished a lot of the running gear along with those for HCK and other stock and have a pile of bits to cherry pick .We have new pipes front to rear + new wishbones etc but they are going to need re-finishing as the Ren quality aint all that ...
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:34 pm

Faulksie fettled heads :twisted:
At the machinists for final finish then ready to build up on fresh bottom end .Some additional mods should help it flow enough to get us where we want .

no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:45 pm

To give a bit more of the detail and flavour of the work gone into Sean’s heads thus far, a few more pictures below. It is interesting to note that the best placed PRV powered cars competing in the FFSA GT Championship back in the late ‘90s were 2V SOHC than the 4V per cylinder SOHC modified PSA heads, than if I’m not mistaken the later Venturi cars were sporting, and likely reliability (lack of) than anything else being key factor. It would be good if anybody does have any further racing detail, however links to the results and competitors as below:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/S ... 05-10.html
http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/D ... 7-12f.html

I say this, as the 4V technology should clearly have advantage. However, here is a 2V head that really is cutting edge, and cleaned the floor with the other V8 engines of the day, resulting in it being banned. Many things to note in the detail, but it has a very nice combustion chamber indeed (another bi-hemi design), lots to learn from it, and some of the technology can be applied to our humble PRV 2V heads, well within the limits of what we have to work with...

Sean’s heads and my current evolution:

Here’s an Axel Ress performance head from his site, always interesting to compare, noting the flush valve guides.

Little more work to do, and then back to RATS (CLee) for assembly to the block.

Cheers,
Martin

no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:46 am

Last edited by MFaulks on Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:06 pm

Good work mate .
Can get a move on now ,start putting it all back together next month and look at what we need to do management wise :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:35 am

Last edited by MFaulks on Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:42 pm

another one !!!
suppose we'll find a use for the old new one though :mrgreen:

Heads look sweeeeeet dude .I am as always very grateful for your help and skill in these things .
Upon further inspection it looks quite likely that this engine has been apart before .Signs on the block and a few other places point towards a full strip down .
The block itself is very true with all caps a nice fit and tolerance .Liners are round and for the most part the bits that matter are A1 .Liners are under deck though and this seems to be usual with the later blocks .I've had at least 3 where this is the case .I have double shimmed a few so this is no great worry .
Sean was pretty firm in that we retain the original lump so all looking good for that .
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:48 am

Yes they are :mrgreen: Don't be going and expecting anything that good for any of our own projects ... :lol: Even the boys looked and moaned... "Oh you didn't do that on ours... grumble grumble!" No I didn't :roll:

One thing l missed, meant to do it before you took them, just break the burr round the chambers from the skim, thanks 8)

Turbot - yeah needs to be a 3ltr application than 2.5, and 350 beans or thereabouts, up to 21psi on a 3ltr it's sweet, so say 20psi jobbie.

Martin

Next

• Advertisement